Tuesday, June 26, 2012

June 25, 2012: Post 531 (2012 Day 177)


June 25, 2012


Daily Comment
There is a tendency to look back on the time when I had no responsibilities as something akin to my 'glory days'. I think I should resist that. 

Two reasons I say this. First, my memory is inaccurate. I know this. My memory is both selective and prone to fiction, confusing things I wanted to happen with things that actually did; changing names, locations, sequences of things that I did, with no editing marks to help me separate fact and fiction. The second reason is that my internal, emotional rankings of old events makes things look good now that weren't good then, and vice-versa. My glory days may not be those I remember best, and may not be as glorious as other days I've forgotten or devalued, for whatever reason.

The best example I can give was during a 3-year period that began around 1970, when I was a traveling salesman. Initially, I sold imported Mexican goods for a company that turned out to be a front for a pot dealership; then as a rep for Mexican jewelery (this was a legitimate company). Both of these were exciting jobs - I drove all across the Northeast meeting new people, going to new places. The money was pretty good, I was a decent salesman.

I look at this period with a lot of fondness. These jobs enabled me to go places and do things I hadn't previously done, and that hadn't occurred to me to do. It put me together with people I would never have otherwise met. I can think of a lot of highlights. But it ended with my being very, very unhappy, and I quit - rather abruptly

But, here's the thing: It is easy for me to remember why I quit; but I can't recall how I was feeling at the time. When I think back on it, I remember the excitement, the highlights, the fun and not the elements that combined to depress me and, ultimately, lead to me fleeing from that scene; it led me back to music.

Which I remember also as being a fabulous time. But, once I start considering that time, I remember a lot of not-so-fabulous things about this period, too. And so on. I can pick apart the memories of my past - my glory days - pretty easily. Nothing is exactly as I remember it, and, as these days tend to have occurred a half-lifetime ago, I know that they get more and more distorted, mythologized, and - might as well come right out and say it - bogus, as time goes by.

I also know this about those days in my past: It isn't them. It is these days that are, as Carly Simon sang, "the good old days."

Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 
Food and Diet Section
Today's Weight:        201.8 lbs 
Yesterday's Weight:    200.2   lbs  
Day Net Loss/Gain:     + 1.6 lbs
Year 2012 daily weight from December 31, 2011.


Diet Comment:
A bit of a reversal from yesterday's weight loss; almost certainly due to water weight gain.
Food Log
Breakfast
A cocoa-kale protein shake (almond milk, whey protein (36g protein), kale, chia seeds, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, cod liver oil, stevia-inulin blend).

Lunch
Roast turkey and hard-boiled egg  on Spring Mix greens and red cabbage with balsamic vinaigrette.
Snack
Pepperoni.

Dinner
Chili (grass-fed beef, peas, black beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, spices).

Liquid Intake
    Coffee:   22 oz,   Water: 120+ oz

Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 

2 Comments:

Blogger joan said...

Hi Andy, Hi Kenny. In an attempt to fix my ice maker, I broke my refrigerater. Oh well. Remind me that I am not handy and should never try to fix anything. Danny is getting better. Life goes on.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Reverend Ken said...

Joan,
My guess is that you tested using psychology on electromechanical inanimate objects. Appliance repair is not really intuitive, so figuring it out without a repair manual and the right tools doesn't mean you aren't handy, you ARE. You just need to be a little more selective about what you try to fix. Desiderata and all that.

Andy,
Thanks for stopping in. Hope all is going well.

Love you guys...

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home