Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 24, 2012: Post 560 (2012 Day 206)


July 24, 2012


Daily Comment
I am one of those people who, when you say, "Medellin," thinks of Pablo Escobar, incredible violence, cocaine and the fictitious, terrible movie made by Vince in 'Entourage'.

At least, I was. Articles in the 'Overseas Retirement Letter' have changed my mind. Last year, the editor of that e-zine bought an apartment to renovate as a luxury rental, and began a series of articles the city that has put it near the top of my list of places to check out for my retirement. 

In some ways, it is a leading contender: It has, year-round, the best weather of any place on my short list (all of the others have periods of too-hot, too wet, or both). It has spectacularly good medical care available (five of the best hospitals in Latin America). It is clean, safe, and the people are friendly. 

It is large enough to have a good amount of cultural diversity, and is also home of some excellent colleges (more cultural goodies). There is an excellent transportation system, and the city is supposed to be very walkable - no need for a car (major check-list item for me, I hate cars). There is even a growing middle-class. 

Also, it is the closest to the US of any of my top five spots (Thailand, Malaysia, Colombia, Ecuador, and Uruguay). One of two possible runners-up on my list is closer (Mexico; the other outlier is Spain).

Then there are the 'buts' (the down-side items, there are always some)

I'm not certain, when I'm ready to go, if living there will be inexpensive enough, although I expect it will be so. Also, there is currency risk - my pension will be paid out in US dollars, and I will have to convert in every country on my list except , unlike Ecuador (whose currency's value is tied to the US dollar).

I'm also not certain whether I will meet the residency requirements, which have been changing a lot recently, although this, too, is not a deal-breaker, and is also true of my Asian picks.

Also, I will have to learn Spanish - my English will get me by in Southeast Asia, and a bit in Ecuador, as long as I stay in a large enough city - which is a hassle, but not the deal-breaker I once thought it was.

The balance is still positive. Half of the 'buts' can be chalked up to uncertainty, not actual negatives. I will still be researching destinations for the next forty-two months, but Colombia's place as one of the early check-out spots, and the top one in this hemisphere, is very exciting to me. 

Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 
Food and Diet Section
Today's Weight:        205.0 lbs 
Yesterday's Weight:    203.0  lbs  
Day Net Loss/Gain:     + 2.0 lbs
Year 2012 daily weight from December 31, 2011.


Diet Comment:
I don't understand why the weight came on me. Yesterday was not really that special, except that I ate dinner spread out over 3-1/2 hours, and it was a fatty meal (good fats, but still). Oh, well, a little back-on-plan will fix it. I  exercised again today, so that's good.

Food Log
Breakfast
Skipped.

Lunch
A cocoa-kale protein shake (almond milk, whey protein (36g protein), kale, chia gel, one egg, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, stevia-inulin blend).

Dinner
Chili (beef, black beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, spices) with peas, and cole slaw.
Snack
Pepperoni, celery and home-made mayonnaise.

Liquid Intake
    Coffee:    30 oz,   Water: 104+ oz

Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 

1 Comments:

Blogger joan said...

I enjoy your stories, too. everything here is okay. feeling okay. added another staircase. Love you both. Joan

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home