Friday, July 27, 2012

July 26, 2012: Post 562 (2012 Day 208) - Fast Day


July 26, 2012


Daily Comment

I am thinking about the idea of re-inventing oneself. I've done this many, many times in my life.

Of course, nobody actually reinvents themselves. Depending on your beliefs, you are eternal, or you were created, or you are only travelling down a pre-destined path (there are more laternatives than this, I know). What we call re-invention is simply a shift in the way we interact with and present ourselves to others, and doesn't really represent any internal changes. 

At least, that's my definition.

So what I've actually done so many times in the past is to adjust my lifestyle. Sometimes this was a career change, sometimes a location change, sometimes a relationship change, sometimes just a new hobby. Many times it was a combination of things. 

What's important is that, no matter how dramatic the shift (like moving from NYC to Duchess County and starting to work for IBM), on the inside, nothing essential changed.

Because external changes, no matter how profound, and no matter the extent they are accompanied by emotional changes, are just that: External. Superficial.

A friend of mine who I saw at a reunion of people who, for the most part, hadn't seen each other for 30 years, asked me, "Does anyone really change?." 

I answered, "Not on the inside."

I'll stick with that answer.

   
Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 
Food and Diet Section
Today's Weight:        202.4 lbs 
Yesterday's Weight:    205.6  lbs  
Day Net Loss/Gain:     - 3.2 lbs
Year 2012 daily weight from December 31, 2011.
Diet Comment:
OK, back in range. I don't know, I ate a lot of food, yesterday, all on plan, and mostly calorie dense. Go figure.

Food Log
Breakfast
Skipped.

Lunch
Skipped.

Dinner
A cocoa-kale protein shake (almond milk, whey protein (24g protein), kale, chia gel, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, stevia-inulin blend), and celery with home-made mayonnaise.

Snack
Hard boiled eggs, guacamole, cole slaw.

Liquid Intake
    Coffee:    30 oz,   Water: 114+ oz

Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES - love, andy

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joan - thoughts, feelings, behavior, societal roles - is that who you are? Who is it that experiences those thoughts, feelings? Who are you when you withdraw from the worlb of your job and social structure? Love - andy

5:00 PM  
Blogger joan said...

I do think I am the summary of those things. I think I am the story maker who integrates all of that into some coherent sense of I.
It's interesting, though, given that I think that that the idea of reinventing myself seems daunting. Alot of who I am is habit. Have a hard time giving up those habits. Love you both

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joan - I'm having trouble understanding your rationalization. It's self contradictory, at least the way I'm reading it. If you are sincerely trying to find an answer to my questions, then you are going to have to take a fresh look without preconceptions or intellectual prejudice and formulate an answerbased on your direct observations, unfiltered by rationalizatio and remembered answers acquired through your academic life - Love - andy

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great deliνery. Solid argumentѕ. Keep up the greаt work.


Ηavе a look аt my weblοg ... granite worktop

6:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have bеen eхρloгing fоr а bіt fοr any high quаlitу artіcleѕ ог weblog poѕts on this sοrt of areа .

Eхplοring in Yahоο
I finаlly stumbled upon this site. Rеading this info So i'm glad to exhibit that I have an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I so much certainly will make sure to don?t omit this site and give it a glance on a relentless basis.

Take a look at my page - coffee pure cleanse dr oz

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home