Thursday, May 24, 2012

May 23, 2012: Post 144 Day 144


May 23, 2012


Daily Comment
I haven't been given to politics, except that I always seem to get involved, because I try to stay informed and I have opinions. Strong opinions.

For instance: While no lover of the Democratic Party and their politicians, I dislike - strongly - the Republican Party, and their basic principles. 

And that was before the strong turn towards the fanatical right.

That's really all I have to say. Last time I had the chance, I voted straight Working Family Party.

Not one of their candidates (mostly the same as the Democratic ticket, and counted as Democratic votes in that case) won.

This, like North Carolina before, is a very conservative area. And my politics are definitely 'progressive' - I think.

I have done little, deliberately, in the past to make my voice heard, although I haven't missed voting in an election in 44 years or is that 41? I can't remember if 18 year-olds could vote when I was 18.

But, somehow or another, I did get involved. I protested ROTC on CCNY campus. I protested the placement of 'temporary' trailer classrooms in a student-gathering ground (not that we didn't want the classroom space, but they found the most ecologically and aesthetically harmful place to put them), and we were right - temporary was a lie, and the damage done was permanent, including the removal of a healthy, 150-year-old tree).

Largely, my involvement was more reflective of the social scene I was in than a burning passion for politics. Can I admit that? I just did. On the other hand, I never did anything I didn't believe was right and consistent with my opinions.

I have made little personal protests as well. Some of them were... felonious, I think, so best left unrecounted, even with the statute of limitations long expired. 

And, I have never lived a conservative lifestyle, even while living among the arch-Conservatives in Raleigh and Cary, NC, or in Duchess County, NY. 

But I really hate what I'm seeing in the United States, the trend towards militarization and corporate control, at the expense of the lower- and middle-classes - and I'm also talking about the stratification of society into one of only two classes: The haves and have nots.

Some people will think I am naive, but if so, it is because I believed things were different at some point of my life.

Do I protest now? Well, I've stood with government employees, and with unions, and I've visited the Occupation sites in New York and Los Angeles. But, unlike some of my friends, who are actively trying to make a difference, make a change (bless them!), I have decided to vote with my feet.

In less than 4 years (about 44 months), I'm out of here. If the old non-choice of 'Love it or leave it' still has any advocates, all right, then: I'm leaving.
>
Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 
Food and Diet Section
Today's Weight:        201.2 lbs 
Yesterday's Weight:    205.4 lbs
Net Loss/Gain:         - 4.2 lbs
Year 2012 daily weight from December 31, 2011.
Diet Comment:
That is more like it. I'm more comfortable back in the weight range. Today's a no-breakfast day in honor of the huge lunch I'll be having with Al.

Food Log
Breakfast
Skipped.

Lunch
At Ling-Ling's:
Mongolian Grill with bean sprouts, broccoli, snow pea pods, mushrooms, onions, peppers, pork and chicken; kimchi, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, hard-boiled eggs and blue cheese dressing..
Snack
Celery and home-made mayonnaise.

Dinner
Italian-style chicken sausage with whole-grain Dijon mustard, mashed broccoli with chipotle Tabasco sauce..

Snack
Chocolate protein shake:  Almond milk, cocoa, vanilla whey protein (24g protein).

Liquid Intake
    Coffee:   28 oz,   Tea, 8 oz,  Water:108+ oz

Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 

3 Comments:

Blogger joan said...

hi- I have a 3 day weekend (i barely get 2 day weekends) and I am looking forward to doing nothing. I have recently weighed myself and I weigh exactly the same as last year. no loss no gain. I am in a good mood today after weeks of being pretty depressed so lets hope that lasts. Love you

8:50 AM  
Blogger Reverend Ken said...

Enjoy the weekend. I will be playing 2-out-of-3 days and I'm looking forward to it.

Very glad you're in a good mood. It should happen more often, lol.

I don't know if you saw it, I posted a photo of the grocery shelf that has Indian heat-and-serve food.

I love you, too. Be good.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was here -andy

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home