Thursday, May 24, 2012

May 24, 2012: Post 145 Day 145 - Fast Day


May 24, 2012


Daily Comment
This is my 500th post on this blog. I'm just saying. Since January 1, 2011, I've only missed 11 days of posting (all because of vacation/out-of-town problems with getting data, when this blog was primarily a weight-loss tracking tool of mine).

Now that that's out of the way, let's say a word about Bob Dylan.

I was not an early fan. When he first came around, I was put off by his voice. I thought Peter, Paul and Mary's version of 'Blowing in the Wind' sounded better (which, in many respects, it did, as long as you thought smoother and more harmonious was better than emotionally direct) - I mean, I was 13!
>
I continued to like other people's versions of Dylan's songs, and dismissing the performer himself - while liking his songwriting more and more - I wasn't really into the talking blues stuff (then) because I found it 'inauthentic' (as if I could actually tell back then). Then, the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man" sent me over the top.

When he went electric and got booed at Forest Hills (right before he offended the Newport Folk Festival people the same way), I thought, 'sell-out' and figured that was the end of him. But then came 'Bringing It All Back Home' and I was there. Late to the show, yes, but I was a fan, and suddenly all the old records I hadn't liked sounded good.

Such is the way. This is also the period where I discovered blues, soul, and R&B, thanks to my best friend in high school, Thom Jones (RIP), who I admired so much that I copped his taste in music whole.

Throughout my hippie days in the late 60s, Dylan was a staple... But gradually, I stopped listening. As I got more into playing bass guitar, I gravitated to artists whose bass playing was more interesting to me. Beginning in the early 70s, this meant less rock and more soul, funk, and R&B.

That culminated with me playing in a soul review in the mid-to-late 70s. Then, when I went corporate with IBM in 1977, I moved upstate and pretty much stopped playing. I also stopped listening to pop music, including soul and R&B, and listened almost exclusively to jazz and classical. 

I was aware of new Dylan stuff, but not really listening.

At the end of the 90s, I had an opportunity to see Dylan in concert. He gave an awful performance. So awful, I ended up wondering what he was doing it for. It alienated me from all my positive feelings about him for a while.

But just for awhile. Now, my feelings about him are that he is very much his own man, and I don't know anything about him, personally. Which is fine. The things I loved 35-40 years ago, I love as much, maybe even more, today. And that's currently where it sits with me.

Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 
Food and Diet Section
Today's Weight:        202.0 lbs 
Yesterday's Weight:    201.2 lbs
Net Loss/Gain:         + 0.8 lbs
Year 2012 daily weight from December 31, 2011.
Diet Comment:
Still on the high end of normal - we'll see how the fast goes today.

Food Log
Breakfast
Skipped.

Lunch
Skipped:

Dinner
Pepperoni, carrots, and home-made mayonnaise; a cocoa-kale protein shake (almond milk, vanilla whey protein (36g protein), kale, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, stevia-inulin blend).

Snack
Spring mix greens, cole slaw mix, hard-boiled eggs and balsamic vinaigrette.

Liquid Intake
    Coffee:   42 oz,   Water:148+ oz

Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 

2 Comments:

Blogger joan said...

Since you were my primary influence musically, I pretty much followed your footsteps although I think I loved his poetry more.
So funny Andy- come back more.
Love you both, Joan

8:57 AM  
Blogger Reverend Ken said...

The words, the songs: Early on, that was all I liked about Dylan, considered him a songwriter more than a performer.

After a conversation in which Andy made it plain he considered blogging uninteresting, and preferred live communication, he posted to let me know he had HEARD me - which I appreciate.

I don't think we can expect too many more comments from him, though. He is definitely a lurker, and that is ok. He will let me know when I speak with him if he's reading or not.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home