Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October 15, 2012


October 15, 2012 (Monday)
(Post 629, Day 289 of 2012, 654 days since 1st post)


Daily Comment
It came up again this weekend, how my attitude about making music differentiates me from other musicians.

Let me reiterate: I have only one dominant reason I pursue bass playing: It feels good when I do it. I am not trying to impress anyone, I am not trying to get a gig, I am not in it for fame, glory, wealth (hah!) or status.

It feels good when I play. Making a contribution to the production of good music is just about the most fun thing I do these days. It is certainly the most reliable way I do have to get that kind of pleasure.

So, I think of myself as a cooperative bass player, as opposed to a competitive bass player, (a player who, for whatever reason, measures himself against other players). I don't do that any more.

I know there are many better bass players out there, I hear them all the time. They have greater technical proficiency and more stylistic versatility. Some have deeper musical knowledge, both academically and in matters of repertoire. Many seem to me to be more creative/imaginative than I am.

That's fine with me. I just do what I do. When and if what I do works, the music makes me smile because it feels good, and I have a moment of there-ness that is very fulfilling. That's what I'm after. As a bonus, it is usually appreciated by others.

And, I'm not trying to be a better bass player. If it happens, it is due to the things I find out while I'm playing, not by additional study or practice.

I know (because I've been told) that there are some musicians who believe this is a bad approach. They feel that you should always be trying to improve. It is like the music-shark theory of bass playing: If you're not moving forward, you're dying.

I think I am moving forward, but only as a by-product of my non-striving approach. I'm also only certain of the purity of my motives. I'm not so sure about these other bass players, and it isn't any of my business anyway. I know many of them are competitive about their playing - they want to enjoy the rewards - money, fame, some celebrity, etc. - that come from mastering their instrument. I get that.

Not me. My reward comes to me every time I play. I think that's the way.


Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 
Food and Diet Section
Today's Weight:        205.6 lbs 
Yesterday's Weight:    205.8 lbs
Day Net Loss/Gain:     - 0.2 lbs
Year 2012 daily weight from December 31, 2011

Diet Comment
Dinner, which was very late (especially considering my weigh-in was less than 8 hours after eating) temporarily negated the benefits of my twenty-four hour fast.

Food Log
Breakfast
Cocoa-kale protein shake (almond milk, whey protein (36g protein), kale, chia gel, a large egg, cocoa, cinnamon, stevia-erithrytol blend).

Lunch
Roasted turkey breast, black beans, Spring Mix, red cabbage and balsamic vinaigrette.


Snack
Ezekiel Golden Flax sprouted grain cereal with blueberries, almond milk and stevia-erythritol blend.
  
Dinner
Sauteed spinach with black beans, eggs, onions, peppers, Chipotle Tabasco sauce.

Snack
Baby carrots and home-made mayonnaise.

Liquid Intake
    Coffee:  22 oz,  Water: 104+ oz. 


Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home