Friday, October 26, 2012

October 25, 2012


October 25, 2012 (Thursday)
(Post 639, Day 299 of 2012, 664 days since 1st post)


Daily Comment

Whenever I get disappointed, and I do get disappointed from time to time, I have to remind myself why - which means I have to get past the specifics, especially the details, and get to the fundamental nature of my feeling.

Disappointment is an easy one. You are disappointed if you have unmet expectations. This could be because the expectations are unrealistic, or are formed from bad information. Well, it could be that, but I don't think so.

I think the problem is having expectations in the first place. If you have them, the door to disappointment is wide open. But expectations are not a function of any living process - they are formed by looking at and trying to predict or manipulate the future. Since the whole concept of the future is part of the illusion of time and space, which may or may not exist, but is definitely different than what is perceptible.

Anyway, when we are present, and not thinking about the future (about which we KNOW nothing), we have no expectations, and cannot be disappointed. If something is occurring that we have had expectations, the degree of disappointment depends much more on how attached we are to things working out the way we wanted, than to how closely the event matches, falls short of, or exceeds those expectations.

All of this comment comes about from having heard a political analyst talking about a candidate "managing people's expectations". So, you know, if politicians are involved in the expectations game, it is, to put it mildly, suspect.



Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 
Food and Diet Section
Today's Weight:        201.6 lbs 
Yesterday's Weight:    203.0 lbs
Day Net Loss/Gain:     - 1.4 lbs
Year 2012 daily weight from December 31, 2011

Diet Comment
OK, my 24-hour fast went well, I had a big dinner and still dropped a little weight. Normal variation. Skipped breakfast today in favor of my weekly lunch at Ling-Ling's with my pal Al.

Food Log

Breakfast
Skipped.

Lunch
At Ling-Ling Chinese Buffet:
From the "Mongolian Grill", chicken, pork, bean sprouts, cabbage, onions, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms in garlic and hot pepper sauce. Kim-chee.

Dinner
Dal Fry (lentil curry) with eggs, spinach. Not Shown: Chia gel, Spring Mix with balsamic vinaigrette.

Liquid Intake
    Coffee:  0 oz,  Water: 106+ oz.


Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!

 

1 Comments:

Blogger joan said...

Doing great. I am not sure what I think about no expectations. Part of me thinks it comes from chronic disappointment.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home