Monday, December 17, 2012

December 16, 2012


December 16, 2012 (Sunday)
(Post 680, Day 349 of 2012, 716 days since starting this blog)


Daily Comment
Slept in until Noon, then went to an old favorite hangout, Tir na nOg. My friend Don was at an Irish session playing guitar and mandolin there. It was a smallish session compared to the old days, but pretty right-sized compared to other sessions I've seen. 

Besides a wonderful original by Don ("What Would Jesus Do" - not a Christmas carol, a political protest song, a la Phil Ochs), the standout was three pretty little sisters, eight, nine, and ten years old.

The oldest girl played a guitar that looked to be about fifty years older than her, the youngest played fiddle, the middle sister, mandolin - and they were very, very good. They were also amazingly poised, given that the next older musician was in his late forties. Neither intimidated nor arrogant, and already amazingly accomplished on their instruments, they did not appear to seek the attention they deserved, and the other session musicians treated them as other session musicians.

The guitarist attracted my attention for another reason: She played double-barre chords with her forefinger and pinkie. I only know two people who play barre chords like that (and Don didn't know any others):  Me, and my sister, who, as she puts it, was "infected" with it by me.

Interesting. I don't have small hands, but I do have fingers on the short side. Now, I will forever feel girlish when I play guitar.

Worse things could happen.
  
Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 
Food and Diet Section
Year 2012 daily weight from December 31, 2011
 Today's Weight:        204.8 lbs 
Yesterday's Weight:    204.4 lbs
Day Net Loss/Gain:     + 0.4 lbs


Diet Comment
My weight today is, again, just a guess: I think I may have gained a little yesterday. Today is a 24-hour fast day, spoiled a little by a late night binge on my favorite nut, dried fruit and chocolate mix.

Food Log
Breakfast
Skipped.

Lunch
Skipped.

Dinner
At my friend Don's: Pork Loin, black-eyed peas and corn.

Snack
Second Nature Wholesome Medley (dark chocolate chunks, roasted and salted peanuts, almonds and cashews, tart red cherries and dried cranberries).

Liquid Intake   
   Coffee:   0 oz,  Water:  95+ oz. 

Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home