Sunday, December 23, 2012

December 22, 2012


December 22, 2012 (Saturday)
(Post 686, Day 357 of 2012, 722 days since starting this blog)


Daily Comment
I went to an event yesterday, called 'Shift Happens'. It was a kind of new-agey thing, celebrating the beginning of a new Mayan era (misunderstood as the apocalypse, based on the ending of the previous era as recorded by the Mayan calendar).

I find events of this kind unsatisfying. Not without entertainment value - they frequently involve musicians and children. Not without social value, because the people who attend are often good people, with a mindset more like mine than I encounter in other types of gatherings. There's often good food, too.

My motivation for going is usually supplied by a friend who is planning to attend and has recommended it to me, and my having no logistical conflicts (as was the case in this instance). 

Yet, as a person who goes expecting nothing, but hoping for some undefined, yet deep insight in some area that matters to me, I am usually disappointed. Many times these events include representatives of organizations - organized religions, ministries, outreach programs, spiritual groups, etc. - and that is a spoiler for me. 

I don't believe any truth worth knowing is for sale. Even if there is no money involved, just participation, or time, or commitment, I find it difficult to believe that my path is going to be assisted by man-made constructs. Humans are too limited for that, and banding together to work it out seems to end up having some ego-driven motive for at least some of the participates, and I'm not sure if the fruit from this tree has the nourishment I am seeking.

Now, this event was fun, and no organization was pushing too hard, but I screwed it up in two important ways. The first way was to not wear my hearing aids, and this put up a barrier to communication, and what else goes on at a social meeting?  This is the worst thing I could have done.

The second was arriving too late. I missed a lot, and, possibly, the best parts. The whole thing was a series of 'events' that began at nine in the morning, and ended at three in the afternoon. I arrived after at about one-fifteen. I could make excuses, but if it had been more important to me, I would have arrived earlier.

Here's the thing, though. These things make me think about the Big Questions. Not necessarily in profound ways, and not necessarily in ways that bring anything new to me. Rather, they help me clarify my thinking. Even if it is only cataloging the differences between my way and the ways I'm observing at the event. Or, how I would present my ideas, if called upon to do so (never happens, but fun to think about). 

For that, I'm grateful.

Afterwards, I went to my friend Al's house, where he was hosting a visit from his relatives, and which provided a very pleasant family dinner, conversation, the opportunity to play pool, and an overall sense of warmth.

For that, too, I am grateful.   
  
Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!
 
Year 2012 daily weight from December 31, 2011
Food and Diet Section
 Today's Weight:        207.6 lbs 
Yesterday's Weight:    207.4 lbs
Day Net Loss/Gain:     + 0.2 lbs


Diet Comment
Well, I didn't pay too high a price for yesterday's off-plan behavior, in honor of which I have cancelled today's weekly cheat day.

Food Log
Breakfast
Skipped.

Lunch
At the Shift Happens event, black bean soup, and lentil soup.

Dinner
At Al's: Turkey breast, mixed vegetables. A shot of Redbreast Irish Whiskey.

Snack
Baby carrots and home-made mayonnaise, red cabbage cole slaw, chia gel.

Liquid Intake   
   Coffee:   6 oz,  Water:  64+ oz. 2 oz of  Redbreast Irish Whiskey.

Please leave a comment if you visit my blog. Thank you!

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home