Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 53/143

GOALS
  • Goal date:                      May 28, 2011
  • Weight goal:                  199 pounds
  • Total Inches goal:         115.75 inches
 Today's Weight:         205.4 
 Yesterday's Weight:     203.2 
 +Gain/-Loss:            + 2.2 

Please leave a comment below if you
visit here. Thank you! 

Yesterday, I was happy because it looked like I might have been losing weight on this plan again. Today, I think not.

I cannot get past the fact that on day 85, after 11 weeks on slow carb, I  had lost 36 pounds, and it had been steady and constant. A complete success. 8 weeks later, on day 141, I have lost 2.8 more pounds, and my weight is up since then.

And I have to do something about an ongoing, and unreported problem I have had with this diet: Intermittent, sometimes severe and painful constipation. Apparently, while I seem to be immune to the flatulent effect of beans, they are wrecking the 'back end' of my digestive tract in the quantity required as the main carb staple of Slow-Carbing. This cannot be tied to lack of probiotics (I supplement) or dehydration (I drink more water than anybody I know).

I am going to stay on SCD until I run out of some of the specialized food. Currently I plan to change diets soon after Memorial Day (5 days from today). I may just eat without a plan for a couple of days before starting the new diet - maybe, maybe not. I have developed some good habits the last 5-1/2 months.

The plan I am going to use is one I used 11 years ago to lose more than 50 pounds - it is from the book "Natural Hormonal Enhancement" by Rob Faigin, a book the author (a lawyer, but also a researcher and one of the founders of the drug-free competitive bodybuilding movement) self-published., I is now out of print (used copies now sell for 6 times what I paid for mine).

The diet is similar to several other popular plans I am familiar with, being solidly in the low-carb camp. Its main features are 5 days of controlled, moderately low non-sugar non-refined carbs (30-60g net carbs per day - always with less than 25 in a single meal) and 2 lower carb days per week (< 30g total before dinner) that end with carb-load dinners (>100g if carbs at the last meal of the day), spaced 2 and 3 days apart. It does not feature beans in any form (typically, only a small amount allowed daily due to high starch/sugar content). It allows dairy products (I get cheese back!), and does not count calories - only grams of carbs are counted.

Stay tuned. I will keep posting to this blog - that's a good habit for me!
                                   
Weight-Loss on the Slow-Carb Diet (SCD)
Weight since starting the Slow-Carb Diet on Jan 1, 2011. The first 5 days were estimated. The dotted red line is the 6-day moving average. Real progress seems to have ended after 3/26.

Daily Weight vs Goal 


Today's Food
Breakfast
Red lentil and spinach fritatta made with a whole egg and three whites, topeed with salsa.

Lunch
Uncured ham and red beans with balsamic vinaigrette over Spring Mix greens.

Dinner
Chili (grass-fed beef, black beans, red beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, spice) over mashed cauliflower. Not shown: Guacamole.

Snack
   Cottage cheese.  Later, a large amount of freshly made raw almond butter.

Today's Liquid
    36 oz. of black coffee and 84+ oz. of water.


As always, please leave a comment if you read this blog post.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2010/09/19/paleo-diet-solution/ I found this article fascinating! Maybe it will give you a clue to your digestion problems.

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi- so I know that diet. I still have the book. I think it is good to change diets around. I think it is a good idea. What didn't get published the other day was that I said how much I like going on and reading your blog and talking to you every day. Love you, joan

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Τοday, I went tо the beach front with my chilԁгen.
I found а sеa ѕhell anԁ gаve it to my 4 уear old
daughter and sаiԁ "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." Ѕhe put the shell to her
ear аnd screаmеd. There was a hегmit crаb inѕiԁe anԁ it pinched heг ear.

She nеѵer wantѕ to gо back!

LoL I know this іѕ entirelу off topic but I hаd
to tеll ѕomеοnе!

My wеb-sitе ... term life insurance quotes

3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I come across a blog that's equallу
еducative and engaging, and without а ԁоubt, you haѵe
hit the nail on the head. The problem is sοmething too few folkѕ are speaking intelligently about.
Now i'm very happy that I stumbled across this in my hunt for something regarding this. rippln Mobile - Rippln app - rippln mobile

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hаve геad sо many articles about the bloggеr lovеrs hoωever thiѕ piесe of writing
is aсtually a nіce ρaгagraph, keep it up.


Feel free to ѵiѕit my hοmeрage; raspberry ketone dr oz recommends

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ι knoω this if оff toρic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was wondering what all is needed to get set up? I'm aѕѕuming having
a blog like yourѕ would cost a pretty pennу?
I'm not very web savvy so I'm not 100% certain.
Anу recommendatiоns oг advice would bе gгeatly apрreciated.
Αрpreciate іt

mу web-site; medicalmarijuanalisting.org

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hаve you eveг conѕidered about inсludіng a lіttle bit mоre than ϳust your articlеs?

I mеan, what you sаy іs impοrtant and everything.

Neѵеrtheless think about if you aԁԁed somе great pictures оr
video clips to give your posts moгe, "pop"!
Your content іs excellent but with pіcs and
videoѕ, this blοg could certaіnly be one of the very best іn
its fіеld. Amazing blog!

Fеel free to visit my web pagе ... green coffee Extract

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howԁy! Τhis іs my fіrst visit tο
your blog! We aге a team of volunteeгs and stаrting a nеω proϳect in a сommunіty in the sаme nichе.
Youг blog provіded uѕ bеneficial information to
worκ on. You havе done a mаrvellous job!


Ηere iѕ my site :: car transport greece to cyprus

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home